Part 2 Enosburg Falls (VT) Pearl’s Department Store

Chain: Pearl’s Department Stores, Inc.

Date Opened:  May, 1955 in location #2

Date Closed:  1988 when Pearl’s Department Stores, Inc. ceased operations

Street Address(es): (Building name/block) [Current Address]: (#1) Former Cameron Hardware Store – now

 (#2) (366 main Street )[366 Main Street] (The Perley Block, a brick block,  was built in 1883 by A. W. Woodward and C. L. Marsh.  It burned in February, 1908 and was immediately rebuilt.  The  Pedesco Realty division of Pearl’s Department Stores purchased the “Perley block” from Mrs. Herman C. Royce in May, 1955.  In future year’s it is referred to as both the Perley Block and the Pearl block.  Pearl’s had moved into the part of the building Wheeler’s Hardware had occupied (left side); other stores in the block at the time were First National and Oligny’s Drugs, formerly Giddings Drug Store to the right  . In the 1960’s Pearls expanded their store to include the entire first floor of the block.)(source: Janice Geraw, Enosburg Falls historian)]

Former Store(s)  in Location(s):  (#1) Cameron Hardware Store  (#2) Wheeler’s Hardware left side; other stores in the block were First National and Oligny’s Drugs, formerly Giddings Drug Store. .(source: Janice Geraw, Enosburg Falls historian)

Later Store(s) in Location(s): (#1) Cameron Hardware (#2) Enosburg Pharmacy, closed in 2017 (see photo below)

Buildings still exist?: Yes

Owners, Managers, Employees:

Ruth Tiilitson

Bernard Simard, manager (21 years, 1952-1972)

Mrs. Diana F Stills (5 years)

Subsequent Owners if sold:

Articles, Pictures, Ads:

Pearl’s Department Store in 1974 (source: Janice Geraw, Enosburg Falls historian)

Pearl’s Enosburg Falls 1983 (Source: Janice Geraw)

Mention of former location of Pear’s in former PH Stanley store (BFP 05-18-1954 p1)

Pearl’s Enosburg Falls Christmas ad 1952 (Richford Journal-Gazette December 18, 1952 p18)

 

Pearl’s Enosburg Falls Spring ad (Richford Journal-Gazette April 23, 1953 p3)

Ad for wallpaper, mattresses, and rugs Note the Lay-A-Way plan (Richford Journal-Gazette, October 22, 1952 p4)

Joint “Holiday Cheer” ad with Richford store (Journal-Gazette December 24, 1953)

Enosburg Pharmacy 2012 on site of former Pearl’s Store (Google Map photo 2012). Note: Pharmacy closed in summer of 2017

Recollections:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *